Ives progress at second attempt in FA Vase
FA VASE --- FC Clacton 0-2 St Ives Town --- ST IVES Town made light of their second trip to Clacton in four days, as goals from Declan Rodgers and Will Fordham sealed their progress in the FA Vase. After a late postponement of Saturday s game due to the
FA VASE ---
FC Clacton 0-2 St Ives Town ---
ST IVES Town made light of their second trip to Clacton in four days, as goals from Declan Rodgers and Will Fordham sealed their progress in the FA Vase.
After a late postponement of Saturday's game due to the death of a former FC Clacton player, Saints had to return to the Ridgeons League Division One leaders on Tuesday night.
You may also want to watch:
Clacton could have taken the lead as early as the second minute, when Clacton's Mark White crashed the ball against Saints goalkeeper Rob Mackney's post, but the ball rebounded to safety.
Ozzie Foster and Dave Kilby both had chances to put Ives into the lead, but the muddy and congested pitch prevented either team taking definitive control of the match.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 How well do you know Huntingdon?
The game required a moment of quality to break the deadlock, and it arrived six minutes after the restart when Rodgers rifled in a shot from 30 yards, which skidded past Darren Gould in the Clacton goal.
Mackney had to tip over from a curling Matt Waters free kick on the hour, but ten minutes later Saints made the game safe through Fordham.
A deep corner was headed back across goal and the captain rose to head home from close range.
A James Dunkley effort was saved by Mackney just minutes later and Clacton's hopes of a comeback faded. Ives nearly added a third when Matt Bannister's effort was saved by Gould.
St Ives will host Ely City or Woodbridge Town in the next round of the FA Vase.