It’s looking tough at the top for Godmanchester Rovers and bleak at the bottom for Huntingdon Town

Lloyd Groves scored a penalty for Godmanchester Rovers in their defeat at Stanway.

Lloyd Groves scored a penalty for Godmanchester Rovers in their defeat at Stanway. - Credit: Archant

Godmanchester Rovers saw their Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division title hopes dealt a major blow after being beaten by 10 men yesterday.

Third-placed Rovers went down 3-2 at a fourth-placed Stanway Rovers who had their goalkeeper dismissed after half-an-hour.

Godmanchester trailed 2-0 at the time of that dismissal which also led to a penalty converted by Lloyd Groves as the hosts had to play the final hour of contest down to 10 men and with an outfield player in goal.

It was no surprise when Godmanchester levelled in the opening minute of the second half courtesy of short-term signing Joe Peacock’s first goal for the club.

But they were stung by a shock twist as Stanway defied their numerical disadvantage to hit the front again with 10 minutes to go and earn the points.

Defeat leaves Matt Clements’ men 17 points off the pace being set by table-topping reigning champions Norwich United.

Eynesbury Rovers were another local team to concede costly late goal.

Most Read

Dave Northfield’s side had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Desborough in the United Counties League after previously coming from behind to hit the front.

The hosts broke the deadlock midway through the opening half, but Rovers were on terms nine minutes into the second period courtesy of Matty Bannister.

Defender James Ducket then completed the turnaround 13 minutes later, but Desborough responded in the closing stages.

The outlook appears to be bleak for rock-bottom Huntingdon Town as they crashed to a sixth successive defeat in the Premier Division.

Scott Witherall’s men went down 6-1 at Boston Town and have now conceded 19 goals in the space of three games in the past week.

Alex Shepherd hit their consolation goal in Lincolnshire on a miserable day for the club which also saw their Reserves’ fixture postponed due to a shortage of players.

St Neots Saints were beaten by a solitary strike at Lutterworth in Division One.