It’s a hat-trick as Saints boss lands three of his top targets
- Credit: Archant
Manager Matt Clements has pulled off a triple signing swoop to launch his summer St Neots Town overhaul.
Clements has drafted in wideman Scott Sinclair, midfielder Luke Knight and striker Danny Watson as he assembles a new-look Saints squad following Southern League Premier Division survival.
The trio all arrive from Division One (South) side Barton Rovers, who were beaten in the play-offs at the end of last season. Sinclair, Knight and Watson were part of the St Ives Town side that won promotion from that level in the previous campaign.
Clements said: “I’ve got four top targets to bring the club this summer – and it’s brilliant to have three of them on board already.
“Scott, Luke and Danny are all hard-working, genuine and honest lads who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and battle for the cause. They’re all winners and they will bring the right mentality to the club.
You may also want to watch:
“I believe they will fit into what I’m looking to create at St Neots Town. Scott is incredibly versatile and has proved he can perform at Step 3, Luke leads by example and doesn’t shirk the ugly side of the game, and Danny has a terrific goalscoring record.”
It’s a second spell at St Neots for Knight, who previously played for the club in their United Counties League days.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
He’s a serial promotion-winner at Step 4 having also helped Biggleswade Town and Slough Town up from that level.
Watson is a prolific frontman who has played for a host of Bedfordshire clubs as well as St Ives. He was capped by England Schoolboys as a youngster.
Utility man Sinclair is one of three footballing brothers. One sibling, Stuart is at League One side Bristol Rovers and the other, Rob, just helped Forest Green win promotion to the Football League.
Clements is understood to still be keen to draft in another frontman and has a couple of possible targets in mind.
Last season’s top-scorer Jevani Brown has been offered a trial by Cambridge United this summer, but he has indicated he would like to stay at St Neots if not securing a move higher up the football ladder.
Former St Neots Town first-team boss and youth chief Andy Davies has been named as head of coaching at Division One (South) side Bedford Town. Davies ended last season as number two at Godmanchester Rovers.