International honour as St Ivo School girls selected to represent England
- Credit: Archant
St Ivo School’s successful female footballers have been handed the chance to play for England.
A team of St Ivo pupils will represent the country in the British Isles Under 14 Football Tournament later this month.
It is reward for the stunning success of the local school since the introduction of girls football less than four years ago.
St Ivo provided two sets of national champions last season – at Under 12 and Under 13 levels – while their Under 14s were agonisingly denied on penalties.
Those exploits led to the English Schools Football Association asking the school to form a second England team for the upcoming British Isles event.
You may also want to watch:
They will face competition from another England sides, and teams representing Wales and the Republic of Ireland, at Lilleshall National Sports Centre between October 20 and 22.
The St Ivo squad will be captained by goalkeeper Sophie Marjoram and also features Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Ellie Brown, Sasha Brown, Ellen Bullin, Alice Claridge, Tia Everdell, Elle Jefferson, Caitlin McGeown, Lauren Mellors, Lucy O’Brien, Abby Townsend and Nell Webber.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
St Ivo girls football coach, Lisa Trigg, said: “It is a real honour for our school to have been given this opportunity to represent England.
“The girls are so excited for this amazing chance to play at international level!”
The school is seeking sponsorship for the team to play in the British Isles tournament. Any individuals or businesses interested should contact Anthony Ward by email at firstname.lastname@example.org