Interest in netball is Rocket-ing as Ramsey club lays on free starter session
- Credit: Archant
The sport of netball is back on the menu in the town of Ramsey.
And the Rockets club, born as part of a nationwide ‘Back to Netball’ initiative to encourage more ladies to take up the game, is already thriving.
It all stemmed from a group of friends reminiscing about how much they had loved playing the sport at school.
That was in 2014 and now, two years on, more than 30 regular players are turning out each week on the two courts created at One Leisure Ramsey, while the club has two teams playing in the Peterborough Social League.
The Rockets hold regular hour-long coaching sessions in a fun and friendly environment which cover the basics and end in friendly matches.
The Monday sessions, which run from 8pm to 9pm, are aimed at players of all abilities who are aged over 16.
Complete newcomers to the sport are welcome with each session costing £4.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 8 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
But, in a bid to entice new members, the club is holding a free starter session on Monday.
Further information is available by contacting Joanne Rose on email@example.com or by visiting ‘Ramsey Back to Netball’ on Facebook.
Members of the Ramsey Rockets club are pictured, right, at a recent training session.