Inches from winning car
BOB Eaton, the mayor of St Neots, hosted the 10th annual mayor s golf day last week, raising more than £10,000 for charity. The event was held at Wyboston Lakes Golf and Leisure Centre and was jointly organised by the mayor s office and the Rotary Club of
BOB Eaton, the mayor of St Neots, hosted the 10th annual mayor's golf day last week, raising more than £10,000 for charity.
The event was held at Wyboston Lakes Golf and Leisure Centre and was jointly organised by the mayor's office and the Rotary Club of St Neots.
The event was sponsored by Wyboston Lakes and was fully subscribed as 34 teams of four battled their way around 18 holes to win prizes.
This year the top rewards up for grabs were golf days at Bedford and Country, Cambridge National Park and John O'Gaunt golf clubs, as well as individual prizes.
Members of Wyboston Seniors helped organise a putting competition for participants to hone their close-game skills.
Following the wet summer, there was relief that the majority of the round was played in good weather, contributing to the enjoyment of all involved.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 3 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 4 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 5 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 8 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 9 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
The highlight was the hole in one challenge, during which competitors had the opportunity to win a Honda Jazz car, donated by Stratstone Honda of Bedford.
An ace at the seventh would have earned a lucky golfer the keys but no-one quite managed the feat.
Wyston Senior golfer Pat McAteer came closest, landing agonisingly just nine inches away from the cup.
When all monies are collected the day will have raised more than £10,000 for the mayor's charity fund, which will be distributed to local charities chosen by Cllr Eaton and the Rotary Club.
Sponsors of the event included Barclays Bank, Murco Kings Lane Garage, Rwenpower, Wells-Young's, Admiral Cars, Brakes Catering, Lovett Residential and Stratstone Honda.
# Since its inception the event has raised more than £60,000.
Bob Eaton and the Rotary Club wish to thank Wyboston Lakes and all event sponsors.