Hunts U16s lose out
Midland Counties U16 Championship Hunts 1 Staffordshire 3 SIMON Isaac s 10th goal of the season was the only bright spot for Huntingdonshire as they ended their season on a low note. Isaac s contribution this season has been important as Hunts have manage
Midland Counties U16 Championship
Hunts 1 Staffordshire 3
SIMON Isaac's 10th goal of the season was the only bright spot for Huntingdonshire as they ended their season on a low note.
Isaac's contribution this season has been important as Hunts have managed only 13 goals in total from the seven games played.
You may also want to watch:
Staffordshire were quickly into their stride in this match and took the lead in their first attack after two minutes through Joel Sturgess.
Four minutes later the lead was doubled as Sturgess found the target again.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Hunts' first attempt on goal came after 14 minutes when Louis Medwynter linked with the attack to send a shot over the bar but this was an isolated incident in a very disappointing first half.
There was a brisk start to the second half that featured Hunts' replacement goalkeeper Sam Palmer sprawling full length to push away a Stevenson volley but then making an error to allow Tom Maydew to score.
Palmer soon made amends when he pushed a fierce Stevenson volley over the bar.
It wasn't until they were three goals down that Hunts came to life. Joe Furness brought an important save from Dale Hendy and then the goalkeeper dived bravely at the feet of Isaac to deny what looked a certain goal.
However, Isaac showed his class on the hour ghosting past Jake Crook and rounding the goalkeeper to rap home Hunts' consolation goal.
Two minutes later Barrett Steward almost scored a second Hunts goal with a good run through the defence but the keeper left his line to smother at his feet.
Finally, substitute Ryan Lomas had a shot touched onto the bar by the visiting goalkeeper as Staffordshire held out to preserve their two-goal advantage.