Hunts reign in one match and are left frustrated by the rain in another
- Credit: Archant
One Huntingdonshire team reigned last Saturday – but the other was stopped in their tracks by rain.
The county’s Adams Trophy side collected a 157-142 success against North Cambs at the Coach & Horses Bowls Club in Tilney St Lawrence.
Hunts were triumphant on four of the six rinks with Kevin Bowers (Sawtry) skippering the most emphatic victors.
Ian Swannell (Somersham), Tony Chapman (Hemingfords) and Robert Jepson (St Ives) also oversaw winning rinks whereas those of Owen Kennedy (Hemingfords) and James Bowers (Sawtry) were pipped.
There were tight finishes in two of those contests as Jepson’s men prevailed by a single shot while Kennedy’s trio went down by the same margin.
But any hopes of a Hunts double were destroyed by wet weather as the Newton Trophy clash at the CMB club in Wisbech had to be abandoned.
Hunts held a 120-94 advantage when torrential rain flooded the green, but the result does not stand as the match had not reached the three-quarter distance of 140 ends. Only 132 had been completed.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 7 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
The fixture will be now be replayed in full on Saturday, July 23.
Both Hunts teams are in home action this Saturday as they entertain Northants sides.
The Adams Trophy game is at Brampton BC and the Newton Trophy clash takes place at St Ives.
North Cambs 142, Hunts 157.
Hunts rinks: Colin Bates/Richard Fisher/Kevin Bowers won 31-21; David Peak/Malcolm Dudley/Ian Swannell won 30-24; Scott Wilson/John Hignett/Tony Chapman won 27-22; Trevor Dighton/Kevin Ward/Robert Jepson won 24-23; Richard Stevens/Peter Reason/Owen Kennedy lost 25-26; Richard Wilson/John Mitchley/James Bowers lost 20-26.