Hunts fencer Sage third in Eastern competition
GREAT Britain international Richard Sage took third place for Huntingdonshire Fencing Club at the Eastern Region Individual Championships in Thetford at the weekend. Sage won all of his seeding round fights in the men s foil on Saturday to be ranked secon
GREAT Britain international Richard Sage took third place for Huntingdonshire Fencing Club at the Eastern Region Individual Championships in Thetford at the weekend.
Sage won all of his seeding round fights in the men's foil on Saturday to be ranked second for the direct elimination rounds.
He continued in the same rich vein of form that has won him a recent international call-up to register two impressive wins to advance to the semi-final.
In the last 16, he dispatched his opponent 15-0, before comfortably taking his quarter-final 15-10.
You may also want to watch:
In the semi-final he ran into Ross Ingleson of Cambridge Sword and fell to a 15-11 defeat to the eventual winner.
In Sunday's epee competition, clubmate Ivan Ward found his progress hampered by a lacklustre performance in the seeding round.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
He found himself well down the ranking for the direct elimination phase, where he suddenly found form, overwhelming the tournament's no.7 seed to win 15-6.
Despite winning through to the quarter-finals, Ward lost 15-8 and was eighth overall.