Hunts AC star Penny Butcher takes British Masters title
- Credit: Archant
Penny Butcher is celebrating becoming a British champion.
The evergreen Hunts AC star clinched gold in the British Masters Heptathlon Championships.
Butcher was the star turn in the W55 category, but she actually recorded the highest score of any competitor in any age group at the event in Birmingham.
She began by clocking 16.41 in the 80m hurdles before clearing 1.30m in the high-jump.
A 6.79m shot-putt and a 34:31 time in the 200m ensured she completed a quartet of personal bests on the opening day of competition and she resumed in similarly impressive style by leaping to 3.94m in the long jump - another all-time best.
You may also want to watch:
And Butcher finished in style courtesy of her best efforts for four years in the javelin (17.15m) and 800m (2:56.1). Her overall total was 4,331 points - some 260 better than she had ever managed before and enough to launch her up to third spot in the all-time British rankings for the age bracket.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding