Hunts AC show their strength in depth despite many missing men for Frostbite Friendly League race
- Credit: Archant
A host of missing runners took its toll on Hunts AC as they saw their Frostbite Friendly League advantage cut.
The local club were without 10 key males for the fourth round of the series at March last Sunday.
But their patched-up team battled well to thanks to an effort led by Simon Margot, who finished in 23rd.
And three fine finishes from their scoring ladies – Rachel Sweatt in fourth, Siobhan Skinner in fifth and Polly Smith in 11th – ensured second place on the day in the team standings.
They were beaten by Riverside Runners and the St Neots-based club also cut Hunts AC’s overall lead to four points with two races remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Hunts AC vice-chairman Wayne DuBose said: “To achieve the runners-up position with so many athletes missing is an indication of our significant strength in depth.
“However, with two races remaining, a continuation of this situation could hamper the club’s quest for the league title.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Joey Croft continued his domination in the junior section with a fourth consecutive victory.
He came home 37 seconds clear of his closest challengers. The efforts of Charlie Evans, Jodie Vulysteke, Nicole Covell and Seb Darnell helped Hunts AC to second in the team section behind Riverside Runners. They also trail them by a couple of points in the overall junior standings.
HUNTS AC results:
Individual: 23 Simon Margot 32:18, 27 Rod McKee 32:28, 34 Shane Hunt 33:15, 38 Daniel Woolf 33:25, 43 Sean Barker 33:50, 60 Ian Marshall 34:50, 75 Sam Palmer 35:32, 78 Rachel Sweatt 35:40, 84 Siobhan Skinner 35:50, 114 Polly Smith 37:20.
Overall team standings (top six): Hunts AC 62pts, Riverside Runners 58pts, Werrington 52, Ramsey 48, Nene Valley 44, PACTRAC 43.
Individual: 1 Joey Croft 8:05 by 37 secs, 10 Charlie Evans 9:15, 18 Jodie Vuylsteke 9:30, 31 Nicole Covell 9:51, 32 Seb Darnell 9:54.
Overall team standings (top six): Riverside Runners 58, Hunts AC 56, PACTRAC 49, Nene Valley 49, Huntingdon BRJ 48, Ramsey 33.