Hunts AC show their strength in depth despite many missing men for Frostbite Friendly League race
- Credit: Archant
A host of missing runners took its toll on Hunts AC as they saw their Frostbite Friendly League advantage cut.
The local club were without 10 key males for the fourth round of the series at March last Sunday.
But their patched-up team battled well to thanks to an effort led by Simon Margot, who finished in 23rd.
And three fine finishes from their scoring ladies – Rachel Sweatt in fourth, Siobhan Skinner in fifth and Polly Smith in 11th – ensured second place on the day in the team standings.
They were beaten by Riverside Runners and the St Neots-based club also cut Hunts AC’s overall lead to four points with two races remaining.
Hunts AC vice-chairman Wayne DuBose said: “To achieve the runners-up position with so many athletes missing is an indication of our significant strength in depth.
“However, with two races remaining, a continuation of this situation could hamper the club’s quest for the league title.”
- 1 St Ivo Academy celebrate the success of its star girls teams and international call ups
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
- 4 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 5 New archdeacon for Huntingdon and Wisbech
- 6 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 7 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 8 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 9 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 10 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
Joey Croft continued his domination in the junior section with a fourth consecutive victory.
He came home 37 seconds clear of his closest challengers. The efforts of Charlie Evans, Jodie Vulysteke, Nicole Covell and Seb Darnell helped Hunts AC to second in the team section behind Riverside Runners. They also trail them by a couple of points in the overall junior standings.
HUNTS AC results:
Individual: 23 Simon Margot 32:18, 27 Rod McKee 32:28, 34 Shane Hunt 33:15, 38 Daniel Woolf 33:25, 43 Sean Barker 33:50, 60 Ian Marshall 34:50, 75 Sam Palmer 35:32, 78 Rachel Sweatt 35:40, 84 Siobhan Skinner 35:50, 114 Polly Smith 37:20.
Overall team standings (top six): Hunts AC 62pts, Riverside Runners 58pts, Werrington 52, Ramsey 48, Nene Valley 44, PACTRAC 43.
Individual: 1 Joey Croft 8:05 by 37 secs, 10 Charlie Evans 9:15, 18 Jodie Vuylsteke 9:30, 31 Nicole Covell 9:51, 32 Seb Darnell 9:54.
Overall team standings (top six): Riverside Runners 58, Hunts AC 56, PACTRAC 49, Nene Valley 49, Huntingdon BRJ 48, Ramsey 33.