Huntingdonshire stars Lauren Steadman and Clare Cunningham will be Paralympic Games medal rivals
- Credit: Archant
Two of Huntingdonshire’s finest sportswomen will do battle for Paralympic glory.
Sawtry star Lauren Steadman and Papworth-based Clare Cunningham have both been included in the Great Britain squad as paratriathlon makes its Games debut in Rio.
Steadman’s selection was inevitable as the reigning British, European and World champion and the 23 year-old will start as hot favourite for gold in the Women’s PT 4 catgeory.
Cunningham, also a former world champion, will feature among her rivals for a medal in that bracket after also earning selection.
Steadman has competed in the last two Paralympics as a swimmer while Cunningham (39) also made two previous appearances in the pool.
You may also want to watch:
She struck gold in 1992 in Barcelona and also swam at Atlanta four years later.
- 1 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?