Huntingdonshire’s Olympians: High-jump star Robbie Grabarz and hockey ace Hannah MacLeod off to Rio
- Credit: Archant
Former St Neots resident Robbie Grabarz is on his way to the Olympic Games.
The high-jump star, who is now based in Birmingham, has been named in the Great Britain squad for Rio.
Grabarz will aim to better the bronze medal he earned in London four years ago.
The 28-year-old clinched his place in the GB squad by winning the British Championships last Sunday with a 2.26m clearance to follow up a World Indoor Championships triumph earlier in the year.
Olympic selection completes a fine return to the highest level after the former Longsands Academy pupil suffered an injury nightmare. He has had to battle back from career-saving knee surgery in 2014.
Former St Ives star Hannah MacLeod has been named in the Great Britain women’s hockey squad for Rio.
The 32-year-old helped GB to win bronze at London four years ago and will now chase another medal this summer.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
Forward MacLeod has also enjoyed success in the World Cup, Champions Trophy, European Championships and Commonwealth Games since making her international debut back in 2003.