Huntingdonshire’s Olympians: High-jump star Robbie Grabarz and hockey ace Hannah MacLeod off to Rio
- Credit: Archant
Former St Neots resident Robbie Grabarz is on his way to the Olympic Games.
The high-jump star, who is now based in Birmingham, has been named in the Great Britain squad for Rio.
Grabarz will aim to better the bronze medal he earned in London four years ago.
The 28-year-old clinched his place in the GB squad by winning the British Championships last Sunday with a 2.26m clearance to follow up a World Indoor Championships triumph earlier in the year.
Olympic selection completes a fine return to the highest level after the former Longsands Academy pupil suffered an injury nightmare. He has had to battle back from career-saving knee surgery in 2014.
You may also want to watch:
Former St Ives star Hannah MacLeod has been named in the Great Britain women’s hockey squad for Rio.
The 32-year-old helped GB to win bronze at London four years ago and will now chase another medal this summer.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Moving day for Black Cat Radio
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
Forward MacLeod has also enjoyed success in the World Cup, Champions Trophy, European Championships and Commonwealth Games since making her international debut back in 2003.