FENCING: Summerfield enjoys a fine return with Great Yarmouth success
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdonshire Fencing Club star Dan Summerfield struck gold at the annual Great Yarmouth Invitiation Foil competition.
Summerfield enjoyed a fine return following a short break from the sport.
He lost only one of his outings in the pool stage before seeing off fellow Huntingdonshire member Nico Ignacio in the last 16.
Victories against Owen Birch (Bury St Edmunds) and Simon Blackwell (Great Yarmouth & Waveney) followed in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively.
That set up a final showdown against Joseph Igali (Norfolk) who had beaten Summerfield in a pool duel earlier in the day.
You may also want to watch:
But there was no repeat of that outcome as Summerfield triumphed 15-12 after pulling off a series of terrific scoring counter-attack moves.
Another Huntingdonshire Fencing Club man, Jacques Portal, went out in the last 16.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Thousands of families tipped on to universal credit due to Covid-19