FENCING: Summerfield enjoys a fine return with Great Yarmouth success
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdonshire Fencing Club star Dan Summerfield struck gold at the annual Great Yarmouth Invitiation Foil competition.
Summerfield enjoyed a fine return following a short break from the sport.
He lost only one of his outings in the pool stage before seeing off fellow Huntingdonshire member Nico Ignacio in the last 16.
Victories against Owen Birch (Bury St Edmunds) and Simon Blackwell (Great Yarmouth & Waveney) followed in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively.
That set up a final showdown against Joseph Igali (Norfolk) who had beaten Summerfield in a pool duel earlier in the day.
But there was no repeat of that outcome as Summerfield triumphed 15-12 after pulling off a series of terrific scoring counter-attack moves.
Another Huntingdonshire Fencing Club man, Jacques Portal, went out in the last 16.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 3 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 7 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 8 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 9 Horrible deja vu for Gill as St Neots Town find another way to miss victory
- 10 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster