Huntingdonshire fast bowler selected for England
- Credit: Archant
A hot Huntingdonshire prospect has followed in the footsteps of his big brother by earning England recognition.
Seventeen year-old fast bowler David Sayer, from Ramsey St Mary’s, has been selected for the England Under 17 squad due to play a series of matches against Pakistan in Dubai during February.
Left-armer Sayer’s selection comes only a year after older sibling Rob – who is now a professional cricketer on a three-year contract at Leicestershire – represented England in the Under 19 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
David is no stranger to globe-trotting himself after playing in South Africa with the Hunts Cricket Board last year.
Sayer said: “It was great to get the phone call to say I would be going to Dubai.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m obviously thrilled and really looking forward to it. I played in South Africa with Hunts last year and that was a fantastic experience.”
Sayer is a student at the Huntingdonshire Regional College in Huntingdon. He is also part of the Leicestershire CCC Academy.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 10 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
He plays his club cricket for Peterborough Town and helped them win a second successive Northants Premier Division title in the 2014 season.
Sayer has already featured in the Hunts senior side and won the county’s youth player-of-the-year award in 2013.
Hunts performance manager Dave Summers said: “David has made quite an impression with his England development opportunities and has worked hard at all areas of his game.
“We are very pleased with the progress he is making and wish him all the very best for the tour.”
Another teen star is off overseas this winter. Eaton Socon sensation Adelaide Walkling is due to tour the UAE with the Essex Under 19 women’s side.