Huntingdon Town set for FA Cup replay
- Credit: Archant
Manager Ian Edge has called on the local public to back his Huntingdon Town team in FA Cup battle tonight (Wednesday).
Town entertain Fakenham at the Jubilee Field (7.45pm) in an extra preliminary round replay after the two sides fought out a goalless draw on Saturday.
It was the first positive result since January for a team which had lost 20 successive matches – their final 18 games of last season and their opening two fixtures of the current campaign.
Boss Edge said: “I’m not going to lie – we rode our luck at times and can probably count ourselves fortunate to still be in the FA Cup.
“Fakenham had four or five chances that they really should have taken, but we are still alive and kicking and we still have a chance to make progress.
You may also want to watch:
“It would mean so much to us as a group to win a game and the prize money would obviously be extremely useful to the club.
“Even picking up a draw on Saturday did wonders for the confidence of the lads. There was a great atmosphere on the minibus on the way home with plenty of banter flying around.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
“We are slowly creeping towards where we need to be as a team and the clean sheet on Saturday was a big positive after conceding 10 goals in our first two games.
“Hopefully we can take another step forward tonight and it would also be great to see the people of Huntingdon turn out and get behind us in a big cup game.”
There is £1,500 up for grabs for the winners of extra preliminary round ties - a tidy sum to a club like Town operating without a playing budget.
The rewards rise to £1,925 in the preliminary round when tonight’s winners will go to another Norfolk side, Wroxham.
Huntingdon will then look to open their United Counties League Premier Division account this Saturday when they entertain Kirby Muxloe at Jubilee Park. A Tuesday visit to Wellingborough follows.