Huntingdon Town off to a flyer with opening day win at Debenham
- Credit: HUNTINGDON TOWN FC
Huntingdon Town's adventure in the Eastern Counties League began in the best possible way - with a 3-0 win away to Debenham LC in the First Division North.
It was a ragged start, the kit not making it from Jubilee Park so the hosts' away strip being gratefully utilised, and then captain Jay Chilvers picked up an injury in the warm-up.
However, once Huntingdon got used to the smaller pitch, they began to take control of the game.
Jezz Goldson-Williams had a 30-yard effort superbly saved but was not to be denied and he pounced after an intricate move involving Ryley McDougland and Mario Neves had resulted in a Thembelani Nkala shot had been pushed out.
The second half saw Town in complete control and they doubled their lead on 61 minutes, Sam Adams drilling in the cross for Christian Gordon to slot home.
The final goal belonged to Charlie Minchella with an exquisite volley from a pinpoint Neves pass.
There could have been more too as Huntingdon continued to press but they settled for three goals and the three points.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service
The man of the match award went to Henry Nkobi