Huntingdon Town off to a flyer with opening day win at Debenham
- Credit: HUNTINGDON TOWN FC
Huntingdon Town's adventure in the Eastern Counties League began in the best possible way - with a 3-0 win away to Debenham LC in the First Division North.
It was a ragged start, the kit not making it from Jubilee Park so the hosts' away strip being gratefully utilised, and then captain Jay Chilvers picked up an injury in the warm-up.
However, once Huntingdon got used to the smaller pitch, they began to take control of the game.
Jezz Goldson-Williams had a 30-yard effort superbly saved but was not to be denied and he pounced after an intricate move involving Ryley McDougland and Mario Neves had resulted in a Thembelani Nkala shot had been pushed out.
The second half saw Town in complete control and they doubled their lead on 61 minutes, Sam Adams drilling in the cross for Christian Gordon to slot home.
The final goal belonged to Charlie Minchella with an exquisite volley from a pinpoint Neves pass.
There could have been more too as Huntingdon continued to press but they settled for three goals and the three points.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 3 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 6 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 7 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 More than 2,000 potholes need repairing in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
The man of the match award went to Henry Nkobi