Huntingdon star Louis Smith selected for the European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Louis Smith has been named in the Great Britain squad for the European Championships.
The Huntingdon Gymnastics Club star has made the cut for the event being held in Swiss capital Bern from May 25 to June 5.
And a good performance there will provide a timely boost to Smith’s hopes of getting the nod to appear in a third Olympics Games later this summer.
Eddie Van Hoof, the men’s head national coach for GB, “This is an important championships, particularly with Rio coming just eight weeks later, and a good opportunity to try some tactical options.
“We have a strong team with a good balance of experience and youth who are all highly motivated as they step up preparations for the Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
“For the juniors the expectation is to try and continue our successful run and they are working very hard to follow in the footsteps of the senior gymnasts.”
Smith (27) is the reigning European champion on his specialist piece of apparatus, the pommel horse, after striking gold in Montpellier, France last year.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder