Huntingdon's Louis Smith takes silver at grand prix
HUNTINGDON Gym club member Louis Smith lifted the silver medal at the Glasgow Grand Prix at the weekend. Smith, along with fellow club members Dan Keatings and Marissa King, was back to the competition circuit looking for points to qualify for the World
HUNTINGDON Gym club member Louis Smith lifted the silver medal at the Glasgow Grand Prix at the weekend.
Smith, along with fellow club members Dan Keatings and Marissa King, was back to the competition circuit looking for points to qualify for the World Cup Finals.
The teenager was taking part alongside the world's top gymnasts knowing that winning a medal would be as difficult as lifting Olympic Bronze - a feat he managed in July.
On Sunday, Smith put in a near faultless performance on the pommel horse and collected a mark 15.750 to lead the competition until Hungary's Kristian Berki went one better to take the gold medal with 15.950.
Smiths' performance keeps him well on course for a place in the World Cup Finals to be held in Madrid in December this year.
Marissa King qualified fourth on Vault and second on Beam and said: "After the Games it was really tough because I psychologically and physically went down a bit after a peak, and it's been pretty difficult to work back up to top fitness. It's kind of been a big crawl to get into shape to compete here." King went on to finish sixth in the vault final and a very good second in the beam final.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 5 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 6 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 7 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 8 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
Dan Keatings increased his degree of difficulty in his pommel display and looked to be putting in a sound display before he had a late fall that pushed him below the eighth place qualification for the finals.