Huntingdon piranhas have eight county champs
HUNTINGDON Piranhas enjoyed their best ever Cambridgeshire County Championships at Peterborough on Saturday 7 and 14 and Cambridge on Sunday 8 and 15. The club, who now have eight county champions, came home with a medal haul of 64. They won 23 gold med
HUNTINGDON Piranhas enjoyed their best ever Cambridgeshire County Championships at Peterborough on Saturday 7 and 14 and Cambridge on Sunday 8 and 15.
The club, who now have eight county champions, came home with a medal haul of 64. They won 23 gold medals, 19 silver and 22 bronze with almost 100 personal best times being recorded.
Tamara Richards, 16, became county champion in eight events. She won the 50 metre, 100m and 200m breaststroke, the 50m, 100m and 200m butterfly, the 200m freestyle and 400m individual medley. She also finished runner up in the skins knock-out competition for the eight fastest girls.
Chelsea Prouten, 15, who was also in the final of the skins knock-out competition, is now county champion in the 50m and 100m breaststroke and was also top girl in the 15-and-under category. New county champions were also made Ryan Skeels, 15, in the 50m freestyle, 50m butterfly and the 50m and 100m backstroke and Taylor Goodby, 10, in the 50m and 100m backstroke and the 100m freestyle.
You may also want to watch:
They were joined by Laura Chumbley, 14, in the 100m and 200m breaststroke, Kristen Chadband, 14, in the 50m butterfly, Zoe Griffiths, 10, in the 50m butterfly and Roger Mallett, 20, in the 100m breaststroke.
The club's head coach John Richards said: "This is by far our best ever County Championships. Thirty-four swimmers qualified for the Championships and while the medals were spread amongst 10 swimmers, nearly every swimmer recorded new personal best times. All in all it was an excellent couple of weekends that really showed the quality and dedication of the swimmers at the club.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity