Huntingdon lose third game in a row against struggling Harborough
- Credit: Archant
HUNTINGDON’S poor run of form continued on Saturday as they surrendered a first-half lead to relegation candidates Harborough Town to make it three defeats on the bounce.
A Niks Savalnieks effort gave Huntingdon the lead but goals from Danny Wright and Liam Fox in the last 15 minutes saw Harborough turn the game on its head and left the away side ruing missed opportunities.
Huntingdon went in to the game missing seven first-team players but took the lead midway through the first half when Declan Rogers provided a deep cross from the right for Savalnieks to control neatly on his chest and hammer past the goalkeeper. Having dominated the first half Huntingdon manager Ricky Marheineke took off strikers Savalnieks and Daniel Drane in the hope of seeing the game out.The decision backfired as two defensive lapses allowed first Wright to tap home and then Fox to go one-on-one and turn the tables on the away side.
Frustrated centre back Sam Spencer was dismissed for swearing at the referee after giving away a free-kick.
Marheineke refused to blame the loss on missing players. He said: “The players need to stand up and be counted. We’ve got six or seven games left and a cup final and there were three or four players on Saturday that didn’t perform to the standard required. The season is not over and nobody is guaranteed their place for the final.”
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdon v Harborough: Enol Ordonez, Jamie Waterworth (Michael Benning), Victor Torres, Sam Spencer, Dan Moyes, Ricky Dear, Declan Rogers, Ben Seymour-Shove, Jamie Graham, Daniel Drane (Stuart Easton), Niks Savalnieks (Ben Sawyer).
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding