Huntingdon ladies beaten in extra end as they just miss out on national Over 50s title
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon bowlers Janet Baldwin, Dina Barlow and skip Nicky Verlander came agonisingly close to a national title earlier this week.
The local trio were pipped on an extra end in the Women’s Over 50 Triples at the National Indoor Championships in Nottingham.
They were deadlocked with opponents Jean Collier, Sue Cooke and Alex Jacobs of North Wilts at 14-14 following the completion of 18 ends as the clash went to sudden death.
But Huntingdon incredibly conceded five shots in the extra end to be beaten 19-14.
They had earlier beaten the Croydon trio of Gill Long, Ann Warrington and Pat Bourne 15-13 in the opening round before edging to an 11-10 triumph against the Atherley team of Anne Pearce, Wendy Line and Margaret Darkin in the quarter-finals.
You may also want to watch:
A 15-8 triumph over Carol Smith, Jean Williams and Jean Munden from the Swanley-based White Oak club followed at the semi-final stage before the final went down to the wire.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity