HOCKEY: Glover at the double as table-topping St Neots side continue stunning start
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Ladies 2nds brushed aside bottom side Aylesbury 2nds to continue a fine Five Counties Women’s League campaign last Saturday.
A 3-0 success – featuring a brace of Sue Glover goals and a Hannah Sutton effort – stretched their unbeaten start in Division One to nine games.
But the 3rds were beaten 2-1 by promotion rivals Bedford 5ths in Division Three. Kira Herbert hit their goal.
St Neots 1sts went down 6-3 at another Bedford side - the 2nds - Division One North of the East Women’s League despite a fine display from debutant goalkeeper Amy Harley. Caz Osborne struck twice in the first half for the Saints side and Katie Bales hit a consolation.
The 4ths were bashed 8-0 by Cambridge City 5ths in Division Four North-West (South).
You may also want to watch:
An in-house St Neots derby in the East Men’s League went to form as the promotion-chasing 2nds slammed the rock-bottom 3rds 5-1 in a Division Five North-West clash.
Phillip Gentles struck twice with Robert Hoye, Willem Zwetsloot and Jack Percival also netting. Kev Sequenza hit the 3rds’ consolation.
- 1 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 2 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 3 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 4 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 5 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 6 Plans for Ox-Cam Arc are 'pretty awful'
- 7 Schoolgirl cuts her hair so friend can have a wig
- 8 Nathan’s Go-Fund Me page raises more than £6,000 and family pay tribute
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
There were defeats for the other two St Neots male sides. The 1sts remain in relegation trouble in Division Three North-West after being pipped 2-1 by Cambridge City Vets.
All of the goals arrived in the first half with Mark Witherow briefly firing Saints level. He was then denied a late equaliser by a great save.
St Neots 4ths are still bottom of Division Six North-West (South) after a 7-0 reverse against leaders Kettering 3rds.