NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Goalless deadlocks for St Neots Town and St Ives Town; defeats for Godmanchester Rovers and Eynesbury Rovers; double-figures drubbing for Huntingdon Town

Nabil Shariff was one of two St Neots Town players to hit the woodwork in their 0-0 draw against Hit

Nabil Shariff was one of two St Neots Town players to hit the woodwork in their 0-0 draw against Hitchin. Picture: CLAIRE HOWES - Credit: Archant

St Neots Town were left frustrated by the woodwork – as they saw a four-match winning run come to an end.

Matt Clements’ men were held to a goalless draw by Hitchin Town in a Southern League Premier Division Central clash at the Premier Plus Stadium.

It was an outcome viewed more as a case of two points dropped rather than one gained as Saints failed to find the killer touch to see off a lowly set of visitors.

Hitchin man Jack Green squandered the best two chances of the opening half, but it was the home side who twice came within millimetres of victory in the second period.

Nabil Shariff chipped against a post barely 30 seconds after half-time and Dion Sembie-Ferris crashed a dipping shot against the bar.

Sembie-Ferris also dragged another good chance wide and created an opportunity for substitute Gary Wharton which was saved as the spoils were shared.

St Ives Town picked up a valuable Southern League Premier Division Central point when also involved in a goalless draw yesterday. Their deadlock came at AFC Rushden & Diamonds.

Most Read

Saints goalkeeper Sam Wilson produced a terrific save late on to tip a header from Diamonds skipper Liam Dolman onto the bar.

That was the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock in a match of few chances. Recalled striker Danny Kelly headed Saints’ best chance onto the roof of the net after being picked out by a Joe Hood corner in the first half.

Saints, who were under the guidance of assistant boss Craig Adams with manager Ricky Marheineke at a family wedding, also survived a strong penalty appeal in the second half after defender Jarvis Wilson appeared to handle the ball.

Godmanchester Rovers suffered a second defeat of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division season yesterday. Ollie Drake’s men were beaten 3-0 at Woodbridge.

Eynesbury Rovers also drew a blank as they tasted United Counties League Premier Division defeat for the second time this term. Mark Ducket’s side were pipped 1-0 by Rugby Town at Hall Road.

In fact the only local team to manage a goal yesterday was Huntingdon Town . . . although it came in a 12-1 hiding at Leicester side Anstey Nomads in Division One of the United Counties League.

Recent signing Matt Wright was the player to find the net late in the first half with Town having already conceded five times by that point.

A depleted Huntingdon side then shipped a further seven goals in the second half - much of which they played with 10 men following injuries - on a miserable afternoon.

It was the club’s heaviest defeat since a 12-0 drubbing at Yaxley in an FA Cup tie on the opening day of the 2016/17 season.