HOCKEY: St Neots 1sts battle back against basement side while 4ths celebrate their first point
- Credit: Archant
St Neots 1sts breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday after snatching an East Men’s League draw against the basement boys.
The locals recovered from a 2-0 deficit at half-time to draw 3-3 with bottom side Bourne Deeping 2nds in Division Three North-West.
Rob Hoye's unstoppable shot began a recovery which continued when Owen Edwards finished at the back post after being picked out by Adam Horlock.
A number of other Saints opportunities went begging before they were stung by a third goal from the visitors following some sloppy marking.
But they again battled their way back onto level term late on with Phil Round finishing at the second attempt after his initial strike was saved.
St Neots 2nds retained top spot in Division Five North-West by beating another set of promotion hopefuls. Mark Lincoln and Chris Slatch hit the goals in a 2-0 win against March Town 2nds.
The 3rds climbed into fourth place in Division Six North-West (South) with a 5-0 romp against Wisbech Town 4ths.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
And there was finally some cheer for the rock-bottom 4ths as they picked up their first point of the season in a 2-2 derby draw with St Ives 5ths.
Tom Warr and Stephen Denman scored the goals for the St Ives side in that game while their 4ths were beaten 3-1 by City of Peterborough 7ths in the same division. Richard Corbett was the St Ives man to find the net.
The 3rds were the only successful St Ives team last Saturday as they beat Cambridge South 3rds in Division Four North-West. Gregory Say and Rob Brand struck in the 2-1 triumph which boosted their side's survival hopes.
St Ives 2nds were beaten 3-1 at City of Peterborough 4ths in Division Three North-West after hitting the front through Tom King-Venables.
And the 1sts went down 2-1 to Long Sutton 1sts in Division Two North with George McCarter getting their goal.