HOCKEY: Promotion challenge back on track as St Ives Ladies 1sts return to winning ways at the first attempt

Ellie Burgess scored for St Ives Ladies 1sts. Picture: DUNCAN LAMONT

Ellie Burgess scored for St Ives Ladies 1sts. Picture: DUNCAN LAMONT - Credit: Archant

St Ives Ladies 1sts bounced back from their first defeat of the East Women’s League season in fine style.

They quickly regained the winning thread to put their Division Two North promotion challenge back on track when seeing off Long Sutton 1sts by a 3-2 scoreline.

A host of short-corner opportunities went begging before Abby Scarrow broke the deadlock but her goal was quickly cancelled out before the break.

A Jules Griffiths deflection and an Ellie Burgess rocket soon had the St Ives side in command and they held on to claim victory even though Long Sutton halved their arrears late on.

A brace from Helen Seabourne was not enough to prevent the struggling 2nds from being beaten at the same level. Izzy Shears also found the net in a 4-3 loss at the hands of Cambridge Nomads 1sts.

Julie Drummond’s double fired the 3rds to Division Four North-West (South) derby glory with a 2-0 victory against St Neots 4ths.

St Ives 1sts snapped a three-match losing streak to collect a valuable East Men’s League success last Saturday.

Most Read

Garth Mooney hit two of the goals in a high-scoring 7-3 victory at fellow strugglers Long Sutton 1sts in Division Two North. David Haslegrave (scoring for the third successive match), Rory Mooney, Adam Maltby, James Lloyd and Darren Coles were also on target.

The 2nds’ tough start to life in Division Three North-West, following promotion last season, continued with a 3-1 reverse to Ely City 1sts.

Alex Grange flicked in the opening goal from a short corner, but that was as good as it got for the local men as they fell to a sixth defeat in eight games.

St Ives 5ths were able to claim a slice of revenge on behalf of the 2nds as they beat Ely City 3rds in Division Six North-West (South).

Andrew Maltby, Adrian Howson, Neil Tuffin and Mike McKenna all struck during the second half as the St Ives side came from behind to win 4-2, but the 4ths fell to a surprise first defeat of the campaign at that level when beaten 2-1 by rock-bottom St Neots 4ths despite a Rob Brand goal.

St Ives 3rds were leading Cambridge South 4ths 2-1 in Division Five North-West when that clash was abandoned due to adverse weather conditions.