HOCKEY: St Ives 2nds hit their Stride while Sue scores two for St Neots 2nds
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Ladies 2nds gained an early advantage over their first-team on the opening day of the East Women’s League season.
Both sides play at Division Two North-West level this term and the 2nds got off to the best start.
Holly Stride struck twice as they beat Newmarket 3-1 – a success also featuring a goal from Sally King.
St Ives 1sts, bidding to bounce back following relegation last season, were held to a 2-2 draw at Spalding.
They saw a two-goal cushion – provided by a brace from Helen Clarke – wiped out late on in the second half.
St Ives 4ths were comprehensive winners in their Division Five North-West (South) curtain-raiser as they thumped Wisbech Town 3rds 5-0.
Pauline Hammond provided two of the goals with Sophie Burnley, Bryony Eacott and Layla Keating also on trget.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 3 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 6 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 7 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 8 More than 2,000 potholes need repairing in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
St Ives 3rds were thumped 5-1 by Cambridge City 5ths. Mel Wood hit their consolation goal in the Division Four North-West (South) drubbing.
St Neots boast the two highest-ranked ladies sides in the area and they had differing starts to the new campaign.
Their 1sts were beaten 2-1 by Cambridge University 2nds in Division One North of the East Women’s League. All the goals arrived in the first half with Kirsty McKenzie’s strike briefly having the Saints side on level terms before they conceded again just before the break.
But St Neots 2nds fared better as they launched their debut Division One season in the Five Counties Women’s League with a 2-1 success against fellow promoted side Bedford 4ths.
Sue Glover grabbed both goals before the local ladies held firm to make a winning start after seeing their advantage halved.
St Neots 3rds were beaten 2-0 by Letchworth 4ths in their Division Three opener while the 4ths went down 3-0 at Royston 2nds in Division Four North-West (South) of the East Women’s League.