HORSE RACING: Plenty of prize money and Cheltenham clues on offer at Huntingdon Racecourse
- Credit: Archant
Almost £150,000 in prize money is up for grabs at Huntingdon Racecourse this month.
The February action kicks off tomorrow (Thursday) when the feature race on a card, sponsored by 188Bet, is the Listed Sidney Banks Memorial Novices’ Hurdle.
A number of young prospects will be put through their paces as they are prepared for possible tilts at bigger prizes at the Cheltenham Festival in mid-March.
Alan King, one of the most successful trainers at the track in recent years, has Messire Des Oboeux lined up to run. That horse features proiminently in the betting for the Neptune Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham and is already a Grade 1 winner.
Last year’s winning trainer, Warren Greatrex, is represented again by Keeper Hill, while Dan Skelton, who saddled the runner-up last year, runs Tommy Rapper.
You may also want to watch:
Bags Groove (trained by Harry Fry), Benatar (trained by Gary Moore) and Finula (trained by Brendan Powell) complete a select sextet of runners.
There’s also a strong Class 2 hurdle over the same distance for older horses in a seven-race card which gets underway at 1.15pm.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Huntingdon general manager Liam Johnson said: “February’s two meetings – this Thursday and a fortnight later on February 23 - are set to feature really competitive jump racing with the likelihood of pointers to some of the top races at the Cheltenham Festival.”
They are both part of the #GoRacing Days promotion at Huntingdon with adult admission available for £10 in advance, or £15 on the day.