HORSE RACING: Peterborough Chase card abandoned after Huntingdon Racecourse hit by heavy snow
- Credit: Archant
Snow has forced the abandonment of the biggest fixture in the Huntingdon Racecourse calendar.
Track bosses made the early morning decision to call off the big Betfred Peterborough Chase card.
“There’s three centimetres of snow on the track that has already fallen and it is forecast to continue all morning with freezing temperatures too,” said Clerk of the Course Jack Pryor following the 7.30am abandonment.
“We covered the track, but the snow means we can’t lift those covers and there is always a risk when you do that further snow would just then settle.”
It is not clear at this stage whether the £65,000 feature race will be moved to another track in the coming days.
You may also want to watch:
The next fixture at Huntingdon is the traditional Boxing Day card.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'