HORSE RACING: Leading lady Lizzie Kelly lands the big race at Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
The big race came complete with a sizable shock at Huntingdon Racecourse last Friday.
Espirit De Somoza – a 20/1 shot for jockey Lizzie Kelly – sped clear to land the Smarkets Chatteris Fen Juvenile Hurdle.
The four year-old, trained by Nick Williams, prevailed by five lengths in the five-runner contest staged over a shade under two miles.
Odds-on favourite Style De Garde, for champion trainer Nicky Henderson, could only manage a disappointing fourth place, but the stable did record three winners on the card with three different jockeys on board them.
Terrefort (6/4 favourite) obliged for Daryl Jacob in the novices’ handicap chase over two miles and four furlongs, Turtle Wars (3/1) took the two-mile maiden hurdle under Noel Fehily, and The Vocalist (2/1 favourite) landed the closing mares’ maiden hurdle in the hands of Nico de Boinville.
You may also want to watch:
The opening handicap hurdle went to the David Dennis-trained Just So Cool (Kieron Edgar) and the near-three mile handicap chase was won by Fly Home Harry from the Charlie Longsdon stable. Jockey Paul O’Brien did the steering.
The next fixture at Huntingdon is on January 26.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 10 Appeal for foster parents to come forward