HORSE RACING: It’s a Dunne deal as Grand National-bound jockey tastes success at Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Jockey Robbie Dunne warmed up for a tilt at the Randox Health Grand National with a winner at Huntingdon Racecourse on Monday.
Dunne, who will be aboard Gas Line Boy in Saturday’s £1 million spectacular at Aintree, struck at the local track when the Sarah Hollinshead-trained Head High won for him at odds of 13-2 in the Six Places At Aintree At 188Bet Maiden Hurdle.
Ciaran Gethings moved to within two winners of his best total for a season after riding Katy P to glory in the US Masters Golf At 188Bet Maiden Novices’ Hurdle. Trainer Philip Hobbs’ five-year-old triumphed by half a length.
Meldrum Lad landed a gamble in the 188bet.co.uk Chase for handler Seamus Durack who acknowledged that he had a bet himself. The horse was priced at 10-1 in the morning, but was backed into 4-1 favourite and landed the two-and-a-half mile contest.
Other winners on the day included Ryeolliean, the 11-4 favourite, in the 188Bet Handicap Hurdle, another market leader Peal Of Bells (7-4) in the Follow Us On Twitter At 188Bet Handicap Hurdle, Troufion at 4-1 in the Bet £10 Get £30 At 188Bet Handicap Chase and Cresswell Legend at 7-2 in the Live Casino at 188Bet Standard National Hunt Flat Race.
You may also want to watch:
It proved to be a painful day for one jockey. Kielan Woods was taken to hospital with a broken pelvis after falling from Bare Necessities in the 188Bet Handicap Hurdle.
The next fixture at Huntingdon is the Easter Monday Big Family Raceday. An advance ticket offer is available - £25 for two adults, up to four children and two Easter sweet bags.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Advance tickets are available online at http://huntingdon.thejockeyclub.co.uk or on 0844 579 3007.