Home defeat gives St Neots a wake-up call
ST NEOTS were brought back down to earth last night (Tuesday) when Bedworth United, the only team above them in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central division, beat them 2-1 at The Hunts Post Community Stadium.
Both teams had accrued a maximum nine points from their first three games, and it was the Saints who opened the scoring in this early-season top-of-the-table clash 10 minutes into the second half, Lewis Webb slotting the ball home from the penalty spot after Dan Jacob’s cross had been handled in the box.
But, the visitors soon hit back – scoring two goals in nine minutes - to give Dennis Greene’s side a timely reminder that they won’t be getting it all their own way this season.
Mitchell Piggon lobbed Tim Trebes – Town’s second-choice goalkeeper, standing in for the injured Michael Duggan – for the visitors’ first, before Andrew Spencer put them ahead, finding the net after following up on a shot which had struck the crossbar.
Both Shane Tolley and Stefan Moore went close with headers in the final minutes – Moore’s effort hitting the post and Tolley’s going harmlessly wide. But Bedworth held on, leaving town with all three points and their 100 per cent record intact.
You may also want to watch:
Chalfont St Peter now visit The Hunts Post Community Stadium on Saturday for a 3pm kick-off before the Saints head off to Barton Rovers for their 7.45pm Bank Holiday Monday fixture.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester