Home comforts as Hunts collect their first trophy successes
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdonshire collected their first Adams Trophy and Newton Trophy wins of the summer last weekend.
The locals made the most of home advantage to see off North Essex in the Southern Section of both of the inter-county competitions.
They certainly didn’t have it all their own way, though in an Adams Trophy clash played at Brampton.
Hunts trailed by 12 shots overall after a third of the contest but gradually took command to complete a 178-151 victory. They triumphed on four of the six rinks with Ian Swannell, Tom Swannell, Robert Jepson and Owen Kennedy skippering the successful sides.
Hunts led from start to finish to record an emphatic 194-133 victory in a Newton Trophy tussle at St Ives.
You may also want to watch:
John Waine, Ian Hamilton, Richard Coles and Barry Stevens all led their rinks to convincing successes while Rob Bradshaw’s trio scraped in by a single shot. A draw for Alan Blackley’s rink denied the local county a clean sweep.
Both Hunts teams are back on home turf at the same venues today (Saturday) when entertaining Suffolk.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Hunts 178, North Essex 151
Hunts rinks: David Peak (Hemingfords)/Malcolm Dudley (Hemingfords)/Ian Swannell (Somersham) won 39-21; Steve Farrant (Warboys)/John Hignett (Buckden)/Tom Swannell (Warboys) won 31-16; Trevor Dighton (Godmanchester)/Kevin Ward (Hemingfords)/Robert Jepson (St Ives) won 30-22; Richard Stevens (Warboys)/Peter Reason (Hemingfords)/Owen Kennedy (Hemingfords) 30-28; Colin Bates (Papworth)/Richard Fisher (Papworth)/Kevin Bowers (Sawtry) lost 28-29; Derek Rose (Warboys)/John Mitchley (Hemingfords)/James Bowers (Sawtry) lost 20-35.
Hunts 194, North Essex 133
Hunts rinks: David Gould (Hemingfords)/Mervyn Rossin (Hemingfords)/John Waine (Hemingfords) won 41-16; Doug Urwin (Sawtry)/Keith Minnett (Sawtry)/Ian Hamilton (Sawtry) won 32-14; Adrian Cossey (Huntingdon)/Richard Jolly (Godmanchester)/Richard Coles (Ramsey) won 40-29; Sam Sallis (Warboys)/Brian Johnson (Papworth)/Barry Stevens (Warboys) won 32-26; Ray Woodward (Hemingfords)/Andy Townsend (Hemingfords)/Rob Bradshaw (St Ives) won 26-25; Peter Hutchinson (Needingworth)/Brian McCormick (Ramsey)/Alan Blackley (Needingworth) drew 23-23.