HOCKEY: Unbeaten streak continues as St Ives 1sts sink Bury St Edmunds, but two other teams taste defeat for the first time
- Credit: Archant
St Ives 1sts continued their sparkling start to the East Men’s League season last Saturday.
The local side triumphed 3-1 at Bury St Edmunds in their latest Division Two North outing to extend their unbeaten streak to five matches after being promoted last term.
Dave Haslegrave brilliantly deflected them ahead, but his first-half effort was cancelled out early in the second period.
But that leveller sparked a fine response from second-placed St Ives, who sealed victory thanks to an Alec Bryden effort following a penalty corner and a Garth Mooney strike which rattled in off the crossbar.
That was one of three wins achieved by the five St Ives male sides last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Mike McKenna (2), Charles Budgett, Rob Brand and Matthew Wheeler struck as the 3rds beat March Town 2nds 5-1 in Division Five North-West, while the 5ths recorded a first Division Six North-West (South) triumph of the campaign.
Alex Thompson, Warren Bigwood, Langton Takawira and Neil Tuffin all found the net in a 4-0 win against Kettering 4ths.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
But the club’s 2nds (4-1 at the hands of Cambridge Nomads 2nds in Division Four North-West) and the 4ths (3-2 against Kettering 3rds in Division Six North-West) both slipped to their first losses of the season.
Tim Jones hit the 2nds’ consolation and Thomas King-Venables hit a double in defeat for the 4ths.
There was only one positive result for the St Ives Ladies section last Saturday.
That was provided by the club’s 3rds as they beat Royston 2nds 3-2 in Division Four North-West (South) of the East Women’s League.
Mel Wood coolly tucked away a penalty flick after the St Ives side had seen a two-goal advantage – provided by Frankie Walder and Helen Seabourne - wiped out.
Elsewhere, the 1sts saw their wait for a first Division One North win of the season continue when losing 4-0 to Wisbech Town 1sts.
Liv Shears, Ellie Burgess and Claire Wibberley-Young all shaved the post early on before the visitors took command.
Sally King hit a consolation as the 2nds were beaten 4-1 by Cambridge City 3rds in Division Two North-West, while the 4ths went down 3-0 to Royston 3rds in Division Five North-West (South).