HOCKEY: Successes in a basement battle and top-of-the-table clash for St Ives Ladies sides
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Ladies 1sts collected a first East Women’s League win of the season last Saturday – at the ninth attempt.
An early Jules Griffiths goal was enough to earn victory in a Division One North basement battle against bottom side UEA 1sts.
But the St Ives side were reliant on a player-of-the-match performance from goalkeeper Ness Brown to preserve their advantage with a series of outstanding saves.
St Ives 3rds climbed to the Division Four North-West summit after beating previous leaders Cambridge South 2nds 3-1 in a top-of-the-table showdown.
Evie Bennett opened the scoring with her fourth goal in two games and fast-thinking Frankie Wilder doubled the advantage before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Pauline Hammond sealed victory in the second half before the visitors grabbed a late consolation. St Ives 3rds now lead the way in the standings on goal difference.
Megan Slack, Phoebe McInroy and Emily Saul hit the goals as St Ives 4ths triumphed 3-2 against Newmarket 4ths in Division Five North-West (South).
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
But the 2nds suffered a 4-0 reverse at King’s Lynn side Pelicans in Division Two North-West.