HOCKEY: St Ives team are in the mix for national trophy
- Credit: Archant
St Ives enjoyed success on the national stage by easing to victory in the first round of the England Hockey Mixed Trophy.
The locals were 3-0 winners against a strong St Albans outfit last Sunday.
Zoe Helme opened the scoring when being left unmarked to convert a Helen Clarke shot from a penalty corner. Clarke was also involved in St Ives’ second goal as she picked out Mike Balding to round the visiting goalkeeper and fire home.
The same two players then combined for the clincher as Balding returned the compliment by releasing Clarke to smash in.
St Ives’ reward is another home tie in the second round. They will entertain Letchworth on February 19.
You may also want to watch:
There was a hat-trick of successes for St Ives’ male sides in the East Men’s League last Saturday.
The 1sts stormed four points clear at the top of Division Three North-West courtesy of a 2-1 win at Spalding 3rds. James Lloyd’s second-half penalty flick completed a come-from-behind victory, after Steve Gibson had levelled.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The 2nds continue to challenge for promotion in Division Four North-West. They beat City of Peterborough 6ths 4-2 thanks to an Alex Grange brace and efforts from Mike England and David Jones.
St Ives 4ths claimed a first win in two months when beating bottom side Saffron Walden 8ths in Division Six North-West (South). Jon Wildin struck twice with Nathan Edwards also on target.
But the 5ths suffered a 2-0 loss to Kettering 3rds at that level while Mike McKenna hit a consolation as the 3rds were bashed 6-1 by Louth in Division Five North-West.
St Ives Ladies 1sts claimed a welcome East Women’s League win.
Holly Stride and Vicky Leighton hit their goals in the first half of a 2-1 success against Colchester in Division One North.
St Ives 3rds were involved in a shivery stalemate as their Division Four North-West (South) clash with Haverhill ended goalless.