HOCKEY: St Ives team are in the mix for national trophy
- Credit: Archant
St Ives enjoyed success on the national stage by easing to victory in the first round of the England Hockey Mixed Trophy.
The locals were 3-0 winners against a strong St Albans outfit last Sunday.
Zoe Helme opened the scoring when being left unmarked to convert a Helen Clarke shot from a penalty corner. Clarke was also involved in St Ives’ second goal as she picked out Mike Balding to round the visiting goalkeeper and fire home.
The same two players then combined for the clincher as Balding returned the compliment by releasing Clarke to smash in.
St Ives’ reward is another home tie in the second round. They will entertain Letchworth on February 19.
There was a hat-trick of successes for St Ives’ male sides in the East Men’s League last Saturday.
The 1sts stormed four points clear at the top of Division Three North-West courtesy of a 2-1 win at Spalding 3rds. James Lloyd’s second-half penalty flick completed a come-from-behind victory, after Steve Gibson had levelled.
- 1 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 2 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 6 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 7 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 8 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 9 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
The 2nds continue to challenge for promotion in Division Four North-West. They beat City of Peterborough 6ths 4-2 thanks to an Alex Grange brace and efforts from Mike England and David Jones.
St Ives 4ths claimed a first win in two months when beating bottom side Saffron Walden 8ths in Division Six North-West (South). Jon Wildin struck twice with Nathan Edwards also on target.
But the 5ths suffered a 2-0 loss to Kettering 3rds at that level while Mike McKenna hit a consolation as the 3rds were bashed 6-1 by Louth in Division Five North-West.
St Ives Ladies 1sts claimed a welcome East Women’s League win.
Holly Stride and Vicky Leighton hit their goals in the first half of a 2-1 success against Colchester in Division One North.
St Ives 3rds were involved in a shivery stalemate as their Division Four North-West (South) clash with Haverhill ended goalless.