HOCKEY: St Ives Ladies are really moving forward after Lily leads them to a third successive win
- Credit: Archant
St Ives 1sts are going on a late charge in the East Women’s League.
The local lasses climbed into the top half of the Division One North standings last Saturday after claiming a third successive victory.
Lily Forward grabbed both goals as they saw off Bedford 2nds 2-1, flicking in her first effort from a Claire Wibberley-Young pass and then firing home after exchanging passes with Helen Clarke.
St Ives 2nds remain well-placed to win promotion in Division Three North-West after beating City of Peterborough 3rds 4-1.
Theresa Jackaman’s opener was cancelled out, but Ellie Burgess restored the advantage before the break. Further goals from Julie Drummond and Jackaman in the second half sealed a victory which leaves their side a point behind second-placed Pelicans, but with a game in hand.
The 3rds were beaten 3-2 by Bury St Edmunds 3rds in Division Four North-West (South).
St Ives 1sts maintained their narrow advantage at the top of Division Three North-West in the East Men’s League.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
Oliver Cooke, Mike Jenner, Pete Liddle and James Lloyd all found the net in a 4-1 success for the table-toppers against City of Peterborough 4ths.
The already-promoted Saints side are a point clear of closest challengers Horncastle, who have a match in hand.
St Ives 2nds’ hopes of promotion received another blow when they went down 3-2 at City of Peterborough 5ths to suffer a second successive Division Four North-West defeat.
Two other St Ives sides were beaten by local rivals from St Neots – and both matches were settled by a single goal.
The 3rds were pipped 1-0 by St Neots 3rds in Division Five North-West, while the 5ths went down by the same scoreline to their St Neots equivalents in Division Six North-West (South).
But there was success at that level for St Ives 4ths, who beat Kettering 3rds 4-0 to continue their smart 2017 form.
Thomas King-Venables struck twice with Jon Clarke and Richard Corbett also on target in a fourth win in their last five outings.