Hockey round-up: Perkins at double
Cambridge East Premier Division Wisbech II 2 Huntingdon Ladies 2 HUNTINGDON failed to claim a deserved win despite dominating for long periods. Kath Perkins struck home a sound volley midway through the half to put Hunters ahead. But Wisbech snatched a
Cambridge East Premier Division
Wisbech II 2 Huntingdon Ladies 2
HUNTINGDON failed to claim a deserved win despite dominating for long periods.
Kath Perkins struck home a sound volley midway through the half to put Hunters ahead.
But Wisbech snatched an equaliser after a disputed short corner as Hunters rued the missed chances from the first half.
After another Perkins strike, Wisbech secured a draw with the final hit of the game.
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Life would be better without mud says Anne Marie Hamilton
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 8 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 9 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 10 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
St Neots 2 City of Peterborough II 5
GOALS from Nathan Read and Simba Chigwada were not enough for Saints as they slumped to a heavy defeat.
Brendan MacCullen did the damage for Peterborough, scoring a hat-trick.
* St Neots II overcame St Ives III 4-2 with two goals apiece from Sean Sanderson and Danny Rowlands.
* Sloppy marking saw Saints III crash to a 6-0 defeat at Horncastle.
* St Neots Ladies III secured an excellent 5-2 win against Sandy and Shefford IV with several new youngsters playing their first match of the season.
Newly-promoted St Neots got off to a flying start when Charlie Gillam slid home a cross within the first few minutes but a lapse in concentration in defence meant the visitors equalised not long afterwards.
Jay Dickinson took the ball round the defenders for St Neots' second and Charlie Gillam made it three before half-time.
Abbe Bruce and Juliana Dickinson made it a good day for St Neots with two more strikes.
City of Peterborough III 1 St Ives 1
THIS was a hard-fought draw for Saints as they began their league campaign with a solid performance.
The visitors pressured the home side for long periods but had to rely on a Derrick Pope penalty to earn them a share of the points.
* St Ives II also had to be content with a draw against City Of Peterborough V, while the IIIs lost 4-2 against St Neots and St Ives IV drew 3-3 at Alford.
* St Ives V scored five with a hat-trick from Scott Perry and one apiece from Clinton and Waring against St Neots II, who could muster only one goal in reply.
* St Ives Ladies returned from Lincoln with a great 4-2 win. Great team spirit and skilful play saw goals from Juliet Fabb, Kate Slater, Helen Clarke and Louise Smith seal the points.