HOCKEY: Mooney at the double as St Ives 2nds sink promotion rivals
- Credit: Archant
St Ives 2nds collected a valuable victory against another set of East Men’s League promotion rivals last Saturday.
They climbed into second place in Division Four North-West when beating Cambridge City 5ths 4-3 in an exciting clash.
Goals from Tim Jones, captain Andy Land and Rory Mooney eased them into a three-goal advantage before their opponents rallied in the second half. A second Mooney goal clinched victory before City struck again in the dying moments.
St Ives 1sts saw their hopes of a second successive promotion dented by a second defeat of the Division Two North season.
Garth Mooney hit their goal in a 3-1 loss to Harleston Magpies and the 3rds were beaten 3-0 by leaders Kettering 2nds in Division Five North-West.
You may also want to watch:
There was double-figures delight for St Ives 4ths . . . and a disagreement about the actual scoreline!
They reckon they triumphed 12-0 at bottom side Kettering 4ths in Division Six North-West (South). Ben Rowbotham struck five times, Thomas King-Venables bagged four goals, Tom Smith netted twice and Charlie Evans also got in on the act - but the result was officially recorded as an 11-0 win by the umpires.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
St Ives 5ths drew 1-1 with Cambridge South 5ths at the same level thanks to a Jon Clarke leveller.