HOCKEY: Ladies claim promotion spot after winning double-header
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Ladies 2nds claimed a hard-earned promotion with a final-day victory over St Albans at Longsands Academy.
Despite the season finishing a fortnight ago, the 2nds found themselves with two rescheduled games still to play, and two victories needed to usurp second-place side Hertford.
After easing to a 4-1 win in their first rearranged game against Royston 3rds, St Neots needed victory against St Albans 5ths to take second spot in Division 3 of the Five Counties League, and they managed it courtesy of a narrow 1-0 scoreline.
The team will ply their trade in Division 2 next season.
It has been a great season for St Neots with three of the four sides earning promotion. The first team won their league - a very competitive East 2NW - and gained promotion to Division 1 North for the first time.
Saints 4ths, led by Fiona Humphrey, won 19 of their 22 league games to win Five Counties Division 5 in their first season.
The club runs Sunday morning hockey fun fitness sessions for ladies wanting to try out the game or looking to return to playing.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 6 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
The sessions run from 10-11.15am at Longsands Academy. The next set will run from April 30 until 4 June.
For more information on the club, contact club captain Fiona Humphrey (07970 903564) or Ladies 1st XI coach Duncan Talbot (07906 802557).