HOCKEY: Ladies claim promotion spot after winning double-header
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Ladies 2nds claimed a hard-earned promotion with a final-day victory over St Albans at Longsands Academy.
Despite the season finishing a fortnight ago, the 2nds found themselves with two rescheduled games still to play, and two victories needed to usurp second-place side Hertford.
After easing to a 4-1 win in their first rearranged game against Royston 3rds, St Neots needed victory against St Albans 5ths to take second spot in Division 3 of the Five Counties League, and they managed it courtesy of a narrow 1-0 scoreline.
The team will ply their trade in Division 2 next season.
It has been a great season for St Neots with three of the four sides earning promotion. The first team won their league - a very competitive East 2NW - and gained promotion to Division 1 North for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
Saints 4ths, led by Fiona Humphrey, won 19 of their 22 league games to win Five Counties Division 5 in their first season.
The club runs Sunday morning hockey fun fitness sessions for ladies wanting to try out the game or looking to return to playing.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The sessions run from 10-11.15am at Longsands Academy. The next set will run from April 30 until 4 June.
For more information on the club, contact club captain Fiona Humphrey (07970 903564) or Ladies 1st XI coach Duncan Talbot (07906 802557).