HOCKEY: It’s a first for Andy as two St Ives sides delivering double-figures drubbings
- Credit: Archant
Andy Hobley hit the first hat-trick of his career as table-topping St Ives 1sts bagged their biggest win of the East Men’s League season.
Hobley’s exploits helped earn an 11-0 triumph at Spalding 2nds for the already-promoted Saints.
The double-figures destruction also featured a treble from Steve Gibson, who matched his hat-trick in the reverse fixture. James Lloyd (2), Mike Jenner, Dave Land and Nathan Jones were the other players to find the net.
St Ives 2nds’ promotion hopes might already have been dashed, but that didn’t stop them running riot last Saturday.
Tim Jones and Sam Helme both hit hat-tricks in a 10-0 success against a Wellingborough 1sts side, who only had seven players.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Ginns struck twice after being given an outfield role in the second period as Saints opted to operate without a goalkeeper. Peter Young and Miles Jones also netted.
Goals from Nathan Edwards and Carlie McCarter weren’t enough to prevent a 3-2 loss for the 3rds against Cambridge South 3rds in Division Five North-West, and both St Ives teams in Division Six North-West (South) went down by 4-0 scorelines. The 4ths lost to champions St Neots 4ths, while the 5ths crashed to Cambridge South 4ths.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Moving day for Black Cat Radio
St Ives Ladies 1sts put their East Women’s League Division One North safety beyond doubt by extending their winning streak to four matches.
The red-hot side saw off Cambridge University 2nds by a 3-0 scoreline last Saturday.
Lily Forward opened the scoring before before Shelley Read and captain Helen Clarke clinched the points in the second period.
St Ives 2nds continued their chase for promotion with a vital Division Three North-West victory.
A solitary strike from Katie Frear settled their contest at Haverhill 1sts, while the 3rds drew 0-0 with Cambridge Nomads 2nds in Division Four North-West (South).
* Huntingdon 1sts came from behind to register a third successive victory in Division Three North-West. Rebekah Bell levelled and Laura Porter hit the winner in a 2-1 success against City of Peterborough 3rds.