HOCKEY: High-scoring successes for St Ives male sides, but leading ladies are still waiting for a first win
- Credit: Archant
St Ives enjoyed a hat-trick of high-scoring successes in the East Men’s League last Saturday.
The unbeaten 1sts reeled off a fourth consecutive Division Two North triumph when thumping Horncastle 6-2. Garth Mooney and James Harris both struck twice with Michael Jenner and David Land also on target.
Michael England hit four goals as the 2nds continued their promotion push with a 9-1 drubbing of Alford & District in Division Four North.
Tim Jones bagged a brace with Jamie Sewell, Alex Grange and James Lloyd also finding the net.
But the most prolific team of all were the 3rds, who bashed Horncastle 2nds 11-3 in Division Five North-West.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Boyle (3), Oliver Clinton (2), Peter Young (2), Charles Budgett (2), Miles Jones and Rob Brand all tucked into the feast of goals.
A solitary Ben Rowbotham goal was enough to earn the 4ths victory against Ely City 2nds in Division Six North-West South, but the 5ths were thumped 10-0 by Kettering 3rds at the same level.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
St Ives Ladies 1sts collected their second point of the East Women’s League season . . . but they were disappointed to miss out on a first win.
They were involved in a 2-2 draw at Lowestoft in Division One North last Saturday.
Ellie Burgess hit an equaliser in the first half before Jules Griffiths benefitted from fine Naomi Chalkley work to put St Ives ahead in the second period.
The home side hit back to level before St Ives saw another Burgess effort from a short corner ruled out by the umpires.
St Ives 2nds were beaten 3-0 by City of Peterborough 2nds in Division Two North-West and the 4ths went down 5-0 to their St Neots equivalents in Division Five North-West (South).
But there was one success for the club’s female ranks thanks to a 2-1 triumph from the 3rds at Cambridge Nomads 2nds in Division Four North-West (South).
Frankie Walder levelled and Pauline Hammond hit the winner in a second-half comeback which no doubt cheered vice captain Elaine Jones, who had been taken to hospital with a facial injury.