HOCKEY: High-scoring St Ives men come up with a ‘gr-eight’ way to snap losing run
- Credit: Archant
St Ives 1sts produced a sizzling performance on the coldest day of the East Men’s League season.
The local side spectacularly snapped a run of three successive Division Two North defeats by dishing out an 8-0 drubbing to Dereham 2nds.
Rory Mooney led the goal spree with a hat-trick and Adam Graham struck twice. Dave Land, Michael Jenner and Garth Mooney also found the net in their side’s biggest victory of the season.
St Ives 2nds climbed to within a point of the Division Four North-West promotion places with a 4-2 success at Cambridge South 2nds.
Tim Jones, Alex Grange and Mike Boyle scored during an impressive first-half display as the St Ives side opened up a three-goal advantage.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeeper Tom Laskey pulled off a penalty save early in the second half but was then powerless to prevent the hosts from striking twice to slash their arrears.
That set up a tense finale but the 2nds sealed victory when Mike England pounced after a Grange shot was saved following a short corner.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
A Matthew Wheeler goal put St Ives 3rds ahead before their Division Five North-West home clash against Spalding was abandoned due to a frozen pitch.
A number of other games involving St Ives sides were postponed for the same reason.
Only one St Neots team managed to complete a game last Saturday – and it ended in defeat for the 2nds.
They suffered a 2-1 home loss at the hands of Cambridge South 3rds in Division Four North-West of the East Men’s League.
The 3rds did make it onto the pitch for a Division Five North-West clash at Cambridge City 6ths – but the contest lasted less than two minutes before being abandoned due to a frozen section of the pitch.
* St Ives Ladies 2nds were the only local female side in action last weekend.
They were beaten by a solitary goal from Cambridge South 1sts in the second half of a Division Two North-West clash in the East Women’s League.
The Ladies 4ths were successful without taking to the pitch as opponents Bury St Edmunds 4ths failed to raise a side for a Division Five North-West (South) contest.