HOCKEY: Captain leads the charge as St Ives 2nds deliver a double-figure demolition in the East Women’s League
- Credit: Archant
Skipper Theresa Jackaman led her St Ives 2nds side on an East Women’s League goalscoring rampage last Saturday.
The locals were responsible for a double-figure destruction as they thumped bottom side Wisbech 3rds in Division Three North-West.
Jackaman opened the scoring with the first of her four goals while Ellie Burgess hit a hat-trick. Hollie Willett, Jennifer Burgin, Nichola Champley and Fran Whittaker-Wood all struck twice. St Ives 3rds were also convincing winners in a top-of-the-table clash.
Laura Beadles struck twice as they beat Bury St Edmunds 3rds 4-0 to climb into pole position in Division Four North-West (South).
St Ives 1sts came within minutes of ending the unbeaten record of leaders Dereham in Division One North, but a late equaliser from the Norfolk side meant they had to settle for a 1-1 draw. Naomi Chalkley hit the St Ives goal early on.
You may also want to watch:
St Neots’ female teams experienced vastly different fortunes in two different leagues.
Their two sides in the Five Counties League were both successful.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
The 2nds climbed to the top of Division Three as Emma Rowe and Kate Clark earned a 2-0 win against Chiltern 2nds, while the 4ths preserved their position at the Division Five summit by continuing their wonderful winning start.
Kira Herbert hit two goals in a 4-1 win at Royston 4ths. Captain Fiona Humphrey opened the scoring and Niamh Gaynor completed it.
But the two St Ives sides in the East Women’s League are finding goals much harder to come by.
The first drew 0-0 with Cambridge Nomads 1sts in Division Two North-West while Jay Dickinson’s effort was only a consolation as the 3rds were beaten 6-1 by Haverhill 2nds in Division Four North-West (South).
Huntindon’s two teams were both beaten in the East Women’s League.
Their 1sts lost 3-0 at Cambridge South 1sts in Division Three North-West while the 2nds went down 3-1 to Ely City 2nds in Division Four North-West (South).