HOCKEY: A monster of a performance from goalkeeper Ness helps St Ives side to victory
- Credit: Archant
There were masterclasses in goalkeeping and goalscoring from St Ives’ female sides last Saturday.
A monster performance between the posts from Ness Brown helped the 1sts to East Women’s League success.
Juliet Moynan hit the only goal in a 1-0 victory against Dereham in Division One North, but it was the frequent heroics of Brown at the other end that really earned the points.
Promotion-chasing St Ives 2nds gave their goal difference a boost when thumping bottom side Wisbech 2nds 21-0 in Division Three North-West.
Hollie Willet hit a third of the goals while Sally King found the net five times. Holly Stride put away four chances with Theresa Jackaman and Katie Frear both striking twice. Nichola Champley was also in on the act.
You may also want to watch:
And another emphatic success helped the 3rds continue their promotion challenge in Division Four North-West (South).
A 5-0 romp at Cambridge South 3rds featured a hat-trick from Pauline Hammond. Emma Rushmer and Evie Bennett also netted.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
Title-chasing St Ives 1sts continued their 2017 winning streak in the East Men’s League.
Steve Gibson, Alec Bryden and Mike Jenner hit the goals that earned a 3-2 victory against Bourne Deeping 2nds in Division Three North-West.
It was a fifth successive victory so far this year and maintained a four-point cushion at the summit.
Two other St Ives sides didn’t fare as well last Saturday. Sam Helme hit a consolation as the 2nds were beaten 4-1 by Cambridge South 2nds in Division Four North-West, while the 3rds went down 5-1 to Bourne Deeping 4ths in Division Five North-West. Charlie McCarter was the goalscorer in that game.