Harry makes sure St Ives Town have a head for heights

Harry O'Malley (right) scored the goal that took St Ives Town to the top of the league. Picture: LOU

Harry O'Malley (right) scored the goal that took St Ives Town to the top of the league. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON - Credit: Archant

Harry O’Malley headed St Ives Town to the top of the Southern League Division One (Central) table last night.

The full-back grabbed the only goal in a hard-fought success over Hanwell Town at ProEdge Westwood Road. The three points were enough to catapult Saints from seventh into pole position

Manager Ricky Marheineke said: “You don’t win games of football by having more possession or passing the ball more than your opponents.

“You do it by scoring goals and we were the team who put the ball in the back of the net despite not producing one of our better performances.

“The lads gave absolutely everything for each other and the club to take us to the top of the table.

“We are in a good position, but we are not going to get carried away as there is still a hell of a long way to go in the season.”

The victory came at a cost as midfielder Peter Clark and striker Stuart Eason both went off with injuries, but 16 year-old scholar Sam Davidson made a pleasing senior debut as a second-half substitute.

Most Read

It wasn’t such a memorable night for St Neots Town as they crashed out of the Southern League’s Red Insure Cup competition.

David Batch’s side bowed out after being pipped 3-2 on penalties by local rivals Cambridge City following a 2-2 deadlock at the Premier Plus Stadium.

St Neots, who handed a first appearance of the season to prolific striker Drew Roberts after his recovery from knee surgery, twice led through goals from Ryan Hawkins and Connor Hall before making their exit.

Godmanchester Rovers fared better in knockout competition as they breezed to a 4-0 triumph at Newmarket in the second round of the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup.

Taylor Parr provided the perfect start when grabbing the opening goal inside 60 seconds. An Austen Diaper double and a Lloyd Groves effort then sealed their passage into the quarter-finals in style.

Huntingdon Town now find themselves six points adrift at the bottom of the United Counties League Premier Division.

Scott Witherall’s side were thumped 9-0 by unbeaten AFC Kempston Rovers last night in a fixture played at Langford due to the Bedfordshire club’s ongoing floodlight issues.

Eight of the goals arrived in the second period and there was also time for Town keeper Carl Mackney to save a penalty.

Eynesbury Rovers were beaten 1-0 at next-to-bottom Wellingborough Town. Caretaker boss Dave Northfield has now been handed the job on a permanent basis.