Hale steers U13s home
A MAN of the match-winning knock of 32 from Callum Hale helped Needingworth U13s lift the Hunts Cricket Board trophy. Hale struck the winning run in the final over to spark jubilant celebrations from team-mates and supporters to deny hard-working Eaton So
A MAN of the match-winning knock of 32 from Callum Hale helped Needingworth U13s lift the Hunts Cricket Board trophy.
Hale struck the winning run in the final over to spark jubilant celebrations from team-mates and supporters to deny hard-working Eaton Socon.
Needingworth, who had remained unbeaten throughout the season, lost the toss and were asked to field by the Eaton side.
Bowlers Alex Colah, Mitch Chandler and Mohsan all picked up wickets to reduce Eaton to 23-5. Chandler ended the innings as top bowler, taking 2-6 in his four overs.
You may also want to watch:
A spirited sixth wicket partnership between Matt Nicholson (34 not out) and Callum Richards (22) meant Needingworth would be chasing a total of 93 for victory.
The reply got off to a shaky start with the early loss of Oliver Anthony but a solid 44-run partnership between Joshua Stimson (20) and Hale provided the platform for the run chase.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
Excellent running between the wickets kept the required rate down and with just three runs required from the last over, Hale and Thomas Biddle kept their heads to secure the trophy.
Team manager Barry Stimson said: "The three hours of the game were the worst of my life - I was so nervous.
"To win the game the way they did was fantastic and it was a real team performance. We bowled, fielded and batted well and I am proud of each one of them.