Gymnasts bidding for gold
GYMNASTS from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club flew out to Stuttgart at the weekend ahead of the gymnastics World Championships. Louis Smith, Daniel Keatings, Luke Folwell and Marissa King jetted out with coach Paul Hall to represent Great Britain at the 4
GYMNASTS from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club flew out to Stuttgart at the weekend ahead of the gymnastics World Championships.
Louis Smith, Daniel Keatings, Luke Folwell and Marissa King jetted out with coach Paul Hall to represent Great Britain at the 40th Championships.
Smith, from Eye, near Peterborough, and Corby gymnast Keatings will compete on six pieces of apparatus.
King, from Cambridge, and Huntingdon athlete Folwell must wait and see how heavy their involvement will be following selection.
GB is taking seven athletes to the Championships - a total of six will compete.
Keatings, at 17, is the youngest member of the British team, and goes into the event after taking a surprising silver medal at the European Championships in Amsterdam earlier this year.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 5 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 10 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
Smith, 18, is Commonwealth champion on pommel horse and will be fancied to lead the charge of the GB team.
Folwell, 20, is a former under 18 British champion, while King, just 16, took first position on the vault at the British Championships earlier this year.
Ben Howells, coach at HOGC, said: "Luke's form has been good recently so we are hopeful that he will be selected to represent Great Britain.
"We are all excited for every one of our gymnasts and will be in regular contact with them in Germany.
"We wish them all the best and are confident that they can do Huntingdon proud and return with some medals."
The final stages of the Championships will be broadcast live on BBCi and the BBC sport website from Friday 7-Saturday September 9.
# The World Championships run from September 1-9.