GYMNASTICS: Hemingfords teenager Benji Eyre competes in Commonwealth Games
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon Gymnastics Club talent Benji Eyre performed with credit at the Commonwealth Games in Australia.
Eyre finished 22nd in the men’s all-around qualification event when representing Wales on the Gold Coast last week.
The 19 year-old’s score of 73.500 was not sufficient to earn a place in the final. He also missed out on the individual apparatus finals, but was only one place away from making the cut on floor.
Eyre, who is coached at the local club by Ben Howells, helped Wales finished seventh in the team event. They missed out on a medal by just five-and-a-half points.
Writing on Instagram, Eyre said: “It was an honour to compete for my country alongside my team-mates. It was honestly one of the best – if not the best – experiences of my life.”
You may also want to watch:
Eyre, from Hemingfords, goes to Loughborough University later this year and is targeting a place at the World Student Games in 2019.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'