Greene Shoots - The St Neots manager’s weekly column
I SAID a couple of weeks ago that if I needed to add to the squad, then I would have to say goodbye to a couple of players – and that is what I have done.
Left back Rene Steer has joined us and I am also hoping to sign another youngster, Rodney Snow, before Saturday’s home game against AFC Hayes – so I have let Will Fordham, Graig Greive and Duran Reynolds go.
Duran was only on a month-long loan and so he has gone back to Dagenham & Redbridge, while Graig wanted to be playing first-team football, something I couldn’t promise him, so he is back on the market.
We had an agreement with Will at the start of the season that we would give him a chance to prove himself. Unfortunately, he didn’t quite do enough for me.
The lad Steer is only 21 and made his debut for us against Rugby Town. He did really well considering the rush we had to sign him. He’s a left back and that’s a position I feel we have been struggling with so far.
He might be young but he’s a cultured player – but then he would be having spent six years at Arsenal and two years there as a professional.
He’s got a bit of the Ashley Cole’s about him: he bombs forward and is a true attacking full back.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 7 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 8 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Buckden man gives his 100th blood donation
He’s going to be a big addition to our squad.
I first saw Rene at Staines last season and he impressed me greatly. When I decided I needed to get a left back in, he was the first player to spring to mind.
He left Staines at the end of the season and had a few trials with League clubs but nothing came of them.
So I was delighted to get him when I rang his agent. The other lad I am hoping will have signed for us by Saturday, Rodney Snow, is a young Dutchman who can play on either wing.
I spotted him playing for Ajax reserves when I went to Amsterdam for a break last week.
He impressed me so much I got hold of his agent when I got home and got him over here.
We are waiting for his international clearance I as write.
And then there’s Max Avory, who did a great job at right back against AFC Rushden & Diamonds last Saturday.
He’s another youngster and I saw him playing for Huntingdonshire Colleges’ representive side. He’s played with Jordan Gent in that team and has also played for England colleges.
He now gets his chance to prove to me that he can do a job for us.